When we think of a home we obviously consider that we will be living in a house, i.e. we will be surrounded by 4 walls and a ceiling of course and as we are taught in earlier classes about the basic facilities that are needed by human beings for their survival then we know that one of them will be shelter as we cannot live without shelter and we cannot be in sun, rain or the cool breeze. We need a place to live. And think of a home where you have 4 walls and a ceiling but it does not allows you to live as per your expectations. It may happen that the ceiling is not able to handle the rain water and it is not waterproof so what will happen is that all the water will drain in your rooms and will make you and your stuff wet. It may also happen that if the walls of your house is not waterproof then it may lead to drainage of water from bathroom to other rooms etc. therefore it is really important that the walls of your home are perfectly waterproofed and there is no chance of seepage of water from one room to another etc.
Interior areas of our house must be kept dry from roof to basement. During monsoon we all come across problems such as water draining out from the ceiling or water getting clogged in the terrace which results in seepage. Such problems will require an expert and some basic knowledge about the problem and solutions to it.
So know we will have a look at that what exactly Waterproofing is?
Waterproofing is very important as it helps keep your house dry. Waterproofing is to protect water to cross a substance, including moisture from soil, water vapour and liquid water that is under hydrostatic pressure. If your surroundings are humid that tends to have problems with flooding your basement area, this is an important difference to note. Basically waterproofing is to control the water that penetrates through the walls and the ceilings thus keeping the walls and the house dry so as to prevent various problems that may occur at a later stage. The International Residential Code (IRC) requires waterproofing from the top of the footing to the finished grade in areas that have high water tables or where there are problems with severe soil water conditions. As a porous surface, concrete can quickly soak up water using capillary action between the aggregate if left untreated. Waterproofing compounds can keep cracks covered as they develop, because it’s a flexible material that retains its initial elasticity and is applied more thickly, typically up to 40 mils, four times the thickness of damp proofing compounds, to the foundation. By sealing the concrete with a waterproofing substance, you’re providing additional protection to the structure.
Types of waterproofing:
1. Cementitious Waterproofing Method: It is the easiest method of waterproofing in construction. The products that are required for this kind of waterproofing is readily and easily available at shops and the method is really easy. The mixing part of the products is also not a tedious task. This method is often used in the internal wet areas such as washrooms. Since it is used in internal areas such as washrooms, it is not exposed to sunlight and weathering. Thus cementitious waterproofing does not go through contract and expansion process.
2. Brick Bet waterproofing: Brick bet waterproofing helps seal cracks and water leakages, hides the untidy marks and also provides nice and good looking coverage using tiles.
3. Poly Acrylic chemical coating waterproofing: this is basically one of the finest methods that are used for waterproofing techniques. In this method firstly, the poly acrylic chemical solution is prepared which is used to cover the cracks or leakage areas on the walls and terrace and will act as waterproofing bases, as well as protect and preserve the strength of any structure. This is done by a highly trained professional team. You need to make sure that high-quality products are used for the procedure because home repairing is a long term investment and you have to have value of your money and it should not be wasted using cheap products.
4. Liquid Waterproofing Membrane Method: Liquid membrane is a thin coating which consists of usually a primer coat and two coats of top coats which are applied by spray, roller, or trowel. It offers more flexibility than the cementitious types of waterproofing. The liquid cures into a rubbery coating on the wall. The elongation properties of the coating can reach as high as 280%. The durability of the waterproofing coating depends on what type of polymer the manufacturer use for the making of the liquid waterproofing. Liquid waterproofing membrane can be of spray-applied liquid membrane composed of polymer-modified asphalt. Polyurethane liquid membranes in separate grades for trowel, roller, or spray are also available from various manufacturers.
5. Pre -Monsoon roof repairing: monsoon can have a negative impact on the buildings or the houses that are not waterproofed well. If their walls or ceilings leak then this season can prove out to be a danger for them. Therefore to protect the homes from the leakages etc. one can have this kind of waterproofing done before the monsoon season arrives. It is ideal for buildings and structures that are already having leakage or damage as well as for new structures to avoid leakage in future. This process helps in maintaining the life and quality of the building and ensures that there is no damage to the building because of the rains. You can try this method once in a year.
6. Bituminous Membrane Waterproofing Method: Bituminous membrane waterproofing is a popular method used for low-sloped roofs due to their proven performance. Bituminous waterproofing membrane have torch on membrane and self-adhesive membrane. Self-adhesive compounds comprise asphalt, polymers and filler; additionally, certain resins and oils may be added to improve adhesion characteristics. The self-adhesive type has low shelf life as bonding properties of the membrane reduces with time. Torch on membrane have exposed and covered types. Exposed membrane often has mineral granular aggregate to withstand the wear and tear of the weathering and the other types of membrane, contractor need to apply one protective screed to prevent the puncture of the membrane.
7. Polyurethane Liquid Membrane Waterproofing Method: Polyurethane liquid membrane method of waterproofing is used for the flat roof area and exposed to weathering. This waterproofing method is expensive. Polyurethane Liquid Membrane can offer higher flexibility. Polyurethane is very sensitive to moisture content present, therefore before application, one has to be very careful evaluating the moisture content of the concrete slab, otherwise peeling or de-bonding of membranes may happen after some time.
And if you are located in Bangalore and looking forward to paint your home or get it waterproofed you can always count on Colour Drive as it will provide you with the best services (interior paint, exterior paint, texture paint, stencil paint, and many more). Not only best services but also you will be getting best paint related advice from this professional company.
Colour drive basically offers services related to home paint and if you are looking forward to render services to keep your home waterproofed. And yes obviously you can get your exterior of your house or interior as well painted in light colours and for these services you can contact Colour Drive. This company will not only provide you best services but will also help you by giving suggestions on home related topics if you are confused about any such thing and also you will be really satisfied with their work and their friendly nature!